Tuesday, August 10

Flora and Fauna

Roscoe and I had a lovely adventure on the hill last week. I was pulling goldenrod out along the driveway, because I want to encourage the vetch, black-eyed Susans, clover, and other wildflowers that are growing there.


When I got home, I looked up the type of goldenrod that was starting to flower. Turns out it is called sweet goldenrod, or anise-scented goldenrod. It really does smell like anise! and it is supposed to make a good tea, with the dried leaves and flowers. This batch of flowers though went to spruce up the house.


Meanwhile, Roscoe was off on an adventure of his own. He very kindly took a break from his drink to smile for the camera.


Having satisfied his thirst, he was off to do some digging.


Proudly displaying his prize...


...then back on his way...


...to bury it again.


Gerard gave us quite the warm welcome when we got home from our adventure. "What, you want me to move out of the driveway?" (Notice in the background the rain buckets that he has overturned with his leash.)


All in all, a lovely afternoon.

2 comments: